[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Frozen batteries

Scott Moser mentioned:
> tape recorders [...] tend to not work in frigid conditions

This is mighty tricky, Scott - and by the way, red flashlights and WWV radios
can have the same problem! When I observe in Winter here, I'm careful to keep
all battery-powered gear INSIDE my clothing or sleeping bag when not in use:
my body heat is usually enough to keep it functioning through the night. That
said of course, you need good fresh batteries, or the warming effects of body
heat will only last for a few seconds after you bring the item into the air!

I rediscovered this during my -10oF windchill session last night... X-*

Lew Gramer, weather wimp