[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Telescopic meteor

Last night, while observing comet L3 (LINEAR), a mag 6.0 VIR came right
down the center of field of my 40x scope, right over the top of the
comet! It left a persistent train for 3 seconds. It was neat to see the
little whorls and motions in the train, apparently due to the mixing of
the ionized gases and debris in the wake of the meteor. In fact, for a
few seconds the mag 12.3 comet had a nice 1° long tail!

No scientific value in this observation, I was not even keeping a meteor
session log, but it certainly was entertaining!

Mike.