[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: NRL Instrument Makes First UV Observation of Meteor in Space

Ed, your explanation was very helpful! The history of meteor spectroscopy is a
rich and interesting one. I'm still left wondering what specific constituents
these new UV spectra will give us insight into: this is more in the way of a
[meteor] CHEMISTRY than a meteor spectroscopy question, but which elements or
compounds are expected to be found in meteoroids, which would not show emission
lines in the V or IR spectrum? In particular, the news release hints that UV
spectra will help answer questions about some (possibly organic?) volatiles.

Thanks for your patience in responding to all my curious questions, BTW! :)

Lew Gramer