[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio Meteors used in Practical Application?

Subject: (meteorobs) Radio Meteors used in Practical Application?

Elton:
    See the book, Meteor Science and Engineering by D.W.R. McKinley, 1961,
for a practical application of forward-scatter communications via meteor
trails. This system was called  JANET and developed for the military and
commercial users for communications at northern latitudes during periods
when other communications were erratic.  The idea was put out to pasture
when satellites came into use.  I did see later, that a similar system was
developed for monitoring forest fires at remote locations.  This was
reported in an issue of Sky & Telescope if I remember correctly.  I don't
know how effective this system was or how far it was developed.  Maybe some
of our readers know.

Ed Majden