[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) question (way off topic)

Jure A. wrote:

> > P.S.: Another question, but this time about meteors: Is it possible to
> see
> > meteors from above, I mean flying in a Space Shuttle, observing the skys
> and
> > see meteors?

Jure:
    You would have to be on the earths night side and looking down at the
earth as meteors become visible in the 100km high region.  The shuttles
orbit is higher than that.  Meteors or I should say very bright fireballs
are detected by military surveillance satellites but I don't know if common
shower meteors have been observed from the shuttle.  I would think it would
be possible but I don't think the astronauts have that much spare time to
look out the windows.

Ed