[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) (Radio) Meteor Observation Project

At 07:18 AM 2000-02-26 -0800, Norman Davis WB6SHI wrote:
>Problems running mop on my system.
>
>First screen opens but the lines are blank. Only background.
>
>will not run in win98 or in dos only mode

Not sure what you mean by first screen. The actual first screen is a
nighttime background with two boxes: EXIT and WELCOME TO MOP. Clicking on
the latter takes you to a screen with two line graph displays at the top
which will show either continually-varying lines pertaining to the output
of your receiver. The bottom right has a blank square labelled OBSERVATION
DATA which fills with the time and date of detected pings.

The bottom left shows three lines with small round buttons labelled (top to
bottom) MAX FREQ, SENSIBILITY (and no, I have no idea why they chose that
term over SENSITIVITY!), and NUMBER OF VALUES ABOVE AVERAGE. The README.TXT
file says the lower the value of the SENSIBILITY, the higher the
sensitivity. Too low, and it will trigger on random noise peaks. MAX FREQ
is to set the maximum frequency to be detected. Under the SPECTRUM line
graph are two lines to set the upper and lower limits of the FFT filter.
The MAX FREQ actually sets the sample rate of the WAV so should be set to
twice the expected maximum audio frequency from the receiver. Setting it
higher will decrease the resolution of the filter.

The SENSIBILITY button is normally set at 5 for the usual volume output of
a receiver. When you click on START OBSERVATION, you are taken to another
screen with just one button, STOP. The two line graphs and table remain.
When an incoming signal exceeds the SENSIBILITY threshold, the two line
graphs show a time display on the top and frequency spectrum on the lower
of the receiver's audio.

Back in the second setup screen, you can test your settings by clicking on
GET SAMPLE; with some audio from the receiver into the sound card, you
should see lines on both of the graphs. If you tune your receiver to a
carrier (birdie, local beacon, etc.), you will see the signal displayed
each time you click on GET SAMPLE; and when the audio output from the
receiver exceeds the threshold after you have clicked START OBSERVATION and
are in the third screen, you will see the line graphs update each time the
threshold is exceeded.

If you have no lines showing at all on the two graphs, you don't have audio
into the sound board from the receiver or your sound board isn't set up.
There's no info on setting up the sound board so I don't know how the
program knows where to find that data unless it reads the sound board
configuration file directly. If your sound board is working in Winders, I'd
think it should be detected and working in MOP.

By the way, I tried to reduce the screen size using the PROPERTIES dialog
box but the program would not start up at all if I changed any of the
default values. And to create a shortcut that worked, I had to right-click
on MOP.EXE, then CREATE SHORTCUT. Simply dragging the MOP.EXE icon down to
my desktop wasn't good enough; the program tried to start but encountered
errors that it listed in the DOS box.

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA