[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Telescope for meteror bserving

I have a 6" f.5 refractor with a wide angle Erfle 65deg. WFV giving over
3deg. on the sky.  The aperture in centimeters times 1.4 is over 21.
This exceeds the NAMN limit of 20 by a small amount.  I am wondering if
this telescope would be useful for observing meteors despite this
discrepancy in criteria.  Though I am not yet experienced enough in
visual observing, I was thinking of possibly preparing this scope so
that I can use it when I feel competent enough.  Though it has a
mounting that can be polar without a drive, I usually swing the polar
axis down to use it as an az-el mount.  This avoids the gimbal lock near
the pole, and at this low power it doesn't need a drive in normal visual
use.
    I would be interested in any response from anyone on the net that
has experience enough with telescopic meteor observing to evaluate my
data on this scope.