[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations 03/03 04/03 --00

Hi all,

Last night I left light polluted London ,and drove North to
Cambidgeshire/Bedfordshire to find relatively dark skys.My aim was
primarily to observe the enhanced auroral activity that has been predicted
but I also wanted to test my "new" camera/lens combination (Nikon F2 and
Nikon 28mm F=2.0) ,if not on the aurora ,then perhaps,I thought I might
catch a meteor or two on film.

Although  I didn't see any auroral activity my backup plan to photograph
meteors went better than expected with 8 meteors occurring within my
cameras field of view during 4.5 hours of observing between 0.25-04.55 UT.I
saw a total of 14 Meteors with another 2 or 3 towards the peripheries of my
vision which I cant be sure were meteors.Unfortunately I'm still not
familiar enough with the constellations in the sky at the moment to be able
to classify any as shower members(but I'm learning ...slowly:)
I tried to do some LM counts as well,using the IMO guidelines and counting
stars in Ursa Major ,but when I got home and checked,I realized one of my
corner stars was wrong !!!

The best thing about the observing session however was observing the
Tri-satellite formation
mentioned in previous mails to the list......wow,really impressive!!!!
...and they came into my cameras field of view during an exposure:)

I'm planning another observing session tonight if the skys remain
relatively clear!

Clear skys!
                       Leo

Follow-Ups: References: