[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: Sardust Radiometeor Data Set

> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 22:30:43 EST
> From: > Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Feb. Stardust Radiometeor Data
>
> Where can I get a book or information on what all of those numbers mean.
> Thank  You.      RRash62@aol.com

NOTE:  An earlier draft of this reply "escaped" from my computer before I
was finished editing it .  Sorry about that.

Dear Sir,

We are also concerned about the size and interpretation of the data set
submitted to the meteorobs net.  We have worked with the meteorobs moderator
to try to get the data set in a format that will not exceed the size of the
allowable messages.  He was very helpful in this. We succeeded in reducing
the number of bytes used by the data set, but in doing so made the data set
almost impossible to understand without putting it into a spread sheet!  I
will be gone for a few days.  However, when I return I plan on working with
to see if we can improve on the presentation.

The following will give you some preliminary idea of how to look at the
data.  The data, when placed into a spread sheet (such as Microsoft Works)
has the following characteristics:

1  The horizontal axis  represents the days of the month.

2.  The vertical axis represents the hours of each day, starting with hour 0
through hour 23 (Mountain Standard Time) or hour 7 back around the clock
through hour 6 (Universal Time).

3.  Each data point represents the number of seconds per hour during which
reflections from meteors occurred.

4.   One obvious characteristic of the data is the relatively regular
increase in seconds of reflections in the early morning and the relatively
regular decrease in seconds of reflections in the early evening.  This has
to do with the part of the earth that is rotating into the earth's path
around the sun  during any part of the day.  This can be seen by scanning
down a column for any day and looking at the hours which  are represented by
the greatest number of seconds of radio reflections.  These will usually be
seen to cluster in the very early morning.

5.  If one selects an hour during which there is normally not a lot of meteor
activity ( such as 1400  MST - Mountain Standard Time , same as 2100 UT -
Universal Time) it can be seen that there are significant increases on some
days as you move horizontally across the spread sheet.  Presumably these
increases are due to a meteor shower at that time.

You may have noted my other post on the Meteorobs Net that ask "Are
Sporadics Constants?"  The reason for this question is that we would like
some way to determine the background sporadic activity and subtract that out
of the data set for each day and each hour.  Presumably this would represent
meteor activity that is attributable directly to meteor showers.  It turns
out that determining background sporadics (noise for our purposes) is not an
easy matter.  Again we are working on this problem.

If you  can put the data into a spreadsheet format it will help greatly in
seeing trends.  Please note that these are just our beginning attempts at
providing data and we will be working very hard in the days ahead to present
the data in a more digestible format along with some interpretation of the
data itself.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards, John Meyer
Van Andel Creation Research Center