[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Call for Observations - Kappa Leonids

I have yet to check my visual plots from 4/5 Mar, but in response to Malcolm
Currie's call for Telescopic Plotting, I went out last night and plotted for
about 90 minutes (Teff just over 1.0) in the Telescopic Plotting fields 103
and 147... No time yet to analyze these plots, but I plotted 10 telescopics,
including a lovely trained mag 3 (and a remarkably slow telescopic it was!)

I used a tripod-mounted 5" f/5 Jaegers refractor, 18x, 3.5o fov, TLM > 11.5.
Telescopic plot charts were TC103 and TC147 - charts for *reflectors* which
necessitated some agile geometric mental gymnastics for me to plot with! (Is
it possible to get Postscript or GIF versions of the corresponding refractor
charts from you, Malcolm? GIF is better, as the TC already take up 45 Meg!)

This was all in SPITE of considerable "deep-sky guilt" temptations from fellow
large-telescope enthusiasts at the site during the night, including members of
the NSAAC doing photography with a 12" LX200 and smaller scope, and members of
ATMs of Boston using 17.5" and 16" reflectors to busily scan faint fuzzies!

Still, the highlight of the night for ALL observers present was a possible
Delta Leonid, mag -5, observed deep in the Northeast traveling from near 68
Herculis to near Omicron Her around 5:28 UT. Slow, blue-green, and NO TRAIN!

More detailed reports will follow to 'meteorobs' and to Malcolm soon.

Clear skies all, and get out and observe using WHATEVER technique!

Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: