[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Near Real-Time US Lightning Data

It is my belief that most observers of celestial objects and phenomena are
by default also weather afficianados. (At least this is true in my own case)

I've found a cool sight that gives almost real-time (delayed 15 minutes)
lightning strike data for the continental US. There's a massive amount of
electricity exchanging locations over our mid and southwest at the moment.
There's one small area in NY state too.

The data is displayed graphically overlayed on a map of the US on something
called the Lightning Explorer. It is a customizable free service, but you
can also pay to enhance and upgrade the info considerably.

The site is at:  www.lightningstorm.com

For our Canadian friends, they mention a similar service
provided by a Canadian partner to this company.

For U.S.ers wanting to spend some time under the skies, this might be a
handy tool to access before venturing out.

terry