From: "Carruthers, George" <gcarruthers@ssd5.nrl.navy.mil>
To: "'dedalus@latrade.com'" <dedalus@latrade.com>
Cc: "'nrl1230@ccsalpha3.nrl.navy.mil'" <nrl1230@ccsalpha3.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: UV OBSERVATION OF METEOR IN SPACE
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:07:14 -0500

Hello Dr. Gramer,

The statement in our press release, "Ground-based observations of meteors
cannot detect many of the important elements and compounds expected to be
present in meteoroids" was NOT intended to downplay the importance of
ground-based visible and IR measurements - but merely to point out that some
important elements, such as carbon, magnesium, and others, are best (or
only) observable in UV wavelengths obscured from ground-based observations
by Earth's lower atmospheric absorption.
Also, direct imaging in the far-UV does not directly measure such species,
but merely demonstrates the feasibility of follow-on spectroscopic
measurements in the UV which can make such measurements. A paper by Joseph
Nuth et al. on a proposed Meteor UV Spectrograph space mission appears in
Volume 3818 of Proceedings of the S.P.I.E., "Ultraviolet Atmospheric and
Space Remote Sensing: Methods and Instrumentation II", which pre-dated our
GIMI observation.
Please contact me by return e-mail if you have questions or comments on our
observation.

George Carruthers

------- End of Forwarded Message