[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: March 9th, 2000, Arkansas fireball

I disagree.
    The Peekskill meteor was white hot in the video, when it was very close to
ground. The fact that it did not ignite the car was probably because it hit
beside the taillight, not the petrol tank or soft trim. I have no doubt that it
could have set dry scrub alight had it landed on it. Not much dry scrub in NYC;
some scrub in Japan, but not usually dry.

    It would be nice to have the god-like wisdom required to be able to make
absolute statements such as 'Meteorites don't start fires'.

    Perhaps just tektites?

Joshua wrote:

> Meteorites are not hot enough to ignite a fire when they reach the ground.
>
> om,
> -joshua
>
> KevTK@aol.com wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 3/15/00 8:27:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> > bolidechaser@yahoo.com writes:
> >
> > << > For whatever it's worth, this page has photos of the
> >  > "impact site" of
> >  > the March 9th fireball:
> >  >  >>

> > I looked the site over and I see a big nothing.
> > All the photos show is the remnants of a brush fire (as a pro I've seen
> > hundreds). 200ft. from my observing site here in SI there just was a brush
> > fire - anybody want photos?  :)    The "crater" he shot could be simply the
> > holes caused by the boots of all the firefighters that was in the area
> > putting the fire out. The tracks could be the apparatus of the arriving
> > units. Even his timetable makes no sense, (quoting here):
> > 8:00PM - someone sees a fireball
> > 9:00 - 10:00PM - someone reports his house shook
> > 11:30PM - a fire is reported
> >
> > PLUS, the big point is that a meteorite landing will not start a fire. The
> > Peekskill meteorite went thru a car - why didn't the car ignite?  A student
> > watch and filmed a meteorite land in Japan (I have the video) that one never
> > started a fire either. There have been NO reported fires by a meteorite that
> > I can find - EVER. Didn't happen in Arkansas either.

Follow-Ups: References: