[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fire ball

Hi Stephanie,
      If your estimation of the magnitude is correct, then it was not a
fireball, as to be classified as a fireball the meteor must be -3 or brighter.
Falling in a wavy pattern would tend to imply it's not even a meteor or any
orbital object moving at a high velocity.
But I wouldn't totally discount its being a reentering piece of space junk,
especially given the duration you gave (10 secs) for the event.
      Fireball activity is naturally higher in early to mid spring.  Some
writers have even referred to an "April Fireballs" meteor shower in mid to late
April.
Kim Youmans