[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Moonlit meteors

     I managed to squeeze in the last few possible minutes of observing
time before full moon and despite poor LM's was not disappointed, for a
March morning, that is. I observed casually from 4:45 to 5:30 local
time. The moon did not set until 5:15 or so and by then nautical
twilight was in full swing.
    My LM's ranged from 4.8 to 5.5, peaking only for a few minutes.
Regardless, I saw seven meteors, only one of which was a +3.  Four were
+2's, with one +1 and one 0.  The +1 had a long path and a bright two
second train.  No doubt had my LM's been in their normal 6.3 -6.5 range
and given a full hour (I observed for only 45 minutes) rates would have
been even better.
   I was treated to a nice -5  flare by a rather swift but doomed
Iridium at 5:27 AM, topping off what proved to be an unexpectedly
enjoyable 45 minutes under the stars and moonlight.  My sample was tiny,
but it seems perhaps the higher than normal sporadic rates continue.
Kim Youmans