[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) POSTING ETIQUETTE for 'meteorobs'... [PLEASE READ!]

[This list of "rules" was originally established in 1996, not long after
'meteorobs' was set up, and has been evolving ever since... PLEASE READ!]

Our Meteor Observing list now has hundreds of subscribers. Since so many
people of so many different ages, interests, and experience levels all share
our list, we are ALL compelled to be cautious in our posts to the list.

For *everyone's* benefit, here is a short "Meteor List Etiquette". Note that
like ALL "etiquette", these rules are only compulsory so far as we all wish
to communicate in an open, free and healthy Net environment...

0) THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF ETIQUETTE: If you have any
   complaints, suggestions or concerns about any individual post
   or poster, *DO NOT POST THESE TO THE WHOLE LIST*! Instead, you
   MUST make yourself heard by contacting the List Administrators
   *directly* about your concerns. The email address for this is:

                   owner-meteorobs@jovian.com

   This includes any questions/concerns about the following rules.
   Failure to follow this rule of etiquette CAN result in REMOVAL.

1) Put *descriptive* Subject lines on all posts. If the topic of
   a thread changes mid-stream, try to update your reply Subject
   line to keep up with the changing meaning of the thread!

2) Try to keep posts as short and on-topic as possible. This is
   a courtesy to the many subscribers with slower Internet links.
   Also as a courtesy, do NOT reply to long messages by including
   the entire text of the original message in your response! Try
   to limit the amount of quoting (">" use) to the minimum needed.

3) If your message is only of interest to a few of our readers,
   do not post it publicly... (*Exceptions* to this: If you're
   not sure how to contact a person, or are unsure how many of
   us might potentially be interested in your post!)

4) Try to keep discussions as focused as possible on meteors: do
   this NOT because comets, asteroids, meteorites, meteorological
   phenomena, or general astronomy aren't of interest to most of
   us, but simply because there are OTHER MAILING LISTS devoted
   to these other areas of astronomy... I belong to some of these
   other lists, and so can you. Email me for more info OR see the
   "Other Astronomy Links" section on the 'meteorobs' Web site:
       http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/links.html

5) During periods of high activity (Perseids, Geminids, possible
   METEOR STORMS like Draconids or Leonids), please try to keep
   unnecessary or personally-oriented posts to a minimum: this is
   a list for ALL meteor-lovers, but those with serious scientific
   aims may need to communicate via the list unhindered at times.

   Such "Black Out Times" include but are not limited to: Jan 1-4,
   Apr 20-24, May 3-6, Jul 27-31, Aug 9-15, Oct 7-10 '98, Oct 19-22,
   Nov 15-20, Dec 11-15, and other dates as prompted by high traffic.

6) Please refrain from ANY personal attacks or use of language which
   is obviously offensive! Repeated abuse of this rule can result in
   your forced REMOVAL from 'meteorobs', temporarily or permanently.
   Note that NO CAUSE is considered sufficient for this type of post.

7) Be aware that the subscribers to this list are a group which spans
   the Earth's surface - from Middle America to the Middle East, from
   the Deep South to the South Pole, and everywhere in between... For
   this reason, please be as respectful of and open to other cultures
   and personal beliefs as you can possibly be: We are all focused on
   a common interest after all! And this means any controversy not in
   the immediate sphere of our interest in meteor science may quickly
   be doused by the List Administrator, should it continue...

That's it! Clear skies from your friendly neighborhood List Admin,
--
Lew Gramer
owner-meteorobs@latrade.com