[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: March 9th, 2000, Arkansas fireball

In a message dated 3/20/00 9:31:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, mvanamo@sci.fi
writes:

<< I was just speaking meteorites in general and not of any specific ones.
 While average meteorites, hitting ground, aren't considered being hot
 and starting fires on the ground, I was pondering that surely there is
 a small chance of some of them being able to cause sparks and possibly
 fires with the energy of the impact.  Peekskill meteorite hitting an
 oil refinery should have had a good chance of such outcome. >>

We can talk in generalalities then - the vast majority of meteorites are
stones. No sparks from stones, and I haven't heard of a discovery of a
meteoite made of flint.
There's always a chance. One in a billion is a chance, but I wouldn't want to
wait around for that outcome.

There's no other way I can convey facts on this topic. You can believe
whatever you want. We'll just have to agree to disagree. A good meteorite
book for beginners is "Rocks From Space" by O. Richard Norton.

Regards,
Kevin K

"I'm all for individuality...just as long as everyone does it." - Frank Burns