[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [ASTRO] NEAR-Shoemaker Science Update - March 22, 2000

------- Forwarded Message

From: Ron Baalke <BAALKE@KELVIN.JPL.NASAdot gov>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 0:43:38 GMT
Subject: [ASTRO] NEAR-Shoemaker Science Update - March 22, 2000

          NEAR-Shoemaker Science Update
          March 22, 2000
          http://near.jhuapldot edu/news/sci_updates/00mar22.html

          Last week the NEAR spacecraft was renamed "NEAR
          Shoemaker," in honor of the late Eugene M. Shoemaker, a
          pioneer in the study of asteroid and comet impacts on
          Earth and other planets. It is largely because of Gene's
          work that we know that the famous Meteor Crater in
          Arizona (also called Barringer Crater) was indeed
          created by the impact of a 15-meter iron-rich meteoroid
          and not by a volcano. While many scientists suspected an
          impact origin, including Barringer himself, it was
          Shoemaker and his colleague Chao's discovery of the high
          pressure silicate mineral coesite that finally convinced
          skeptics.

          Gene was also heavily involved in the Apollo missions
          that resolved one of the leading scientific
          controversies of our time, whether the craters on the
          Moon were formed by volcanoes or by impacts. We now know
          that the surface of the Moon is actually saturated with
          impact craters and that even the largest features we
          see, those that make up the "man in the moon", lie
          within the scars of giant impacts. These features are
          dark because, later in the moon's history, the giant
          impact scars were filled with volcanic lavas. The Moon's
          surface records a period of violent bombardment in the
          early history of the solar system, a bombardment which
          the Earth itself did not escape. Of course, on Earth the
          record of ancient giant impacts has been mostly erased
          by the actions of weather and plate tectonics. Gene was
          among the first to recognize the importance of large
          impacts for the geologic history of the Earth and for
          the evolution of life on Earth.

          Since the projectiles that bombarded the Moon, the
          Earth, and other terrestrial planets were asteroids and
          comets, Gene initiated telescopic observing programs to
          search for such objects in orbits close to Earth's orbit
          (that is, near-Earth asteroids and comets) as well as in
          more distant orbits. He and David Levy discovered the
          comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 that plunged into Jupiter in
          1994, after splitting into more than 20 fragments,
          temporarily creating dark spots in Jupiter's clouds
          larger than the Earth.

          NEAR Shoemaker is now orbiting one of the largest of the
          near-Earth asteroids, 433 Eros. Gene always thought of
          the near-Earth asteroids as "roadcuts in the heavens",
          which would have fascinating and important stories to
          tell about the formation of the planets. We all have the
          experience of driving through a roadcut on the highway
          and looking at exposed layers of sediment or rock on
          either side, which would reveal something of the
          geologic history of that particular site. How
          appropriate it is that we now see fantastic systems of
          linear features - ridges, grooves, and chains of craters
          or pits - all around the surface of Eros. Were the
          linear features formed by ancient geologic activity on
          the parent body of Eros, making Eros possibly a
          'roadcut' through the parent body from which it was
          derived? Or were the linear features formed by later
          processes? Our task is now to find the evidence that
          would indicate which of these possibilities may be
          correct.

          One important line of evidence will come from NEAR's
          x-ray and gamma-ray spectrometers, which will measure
          the elemental compositions of surface materials. Last
          week, NEAR recorded the first detections of x-ray
          emissions from an asteroid. NEAR's x-ray spectrometer
          was able to identify emission from the elements silicon,
          aluminum, magnesium, calcium and iron during a large
          solar flare on March 2, 2000. The flare bombarded the
          asteroid's surface with an unusually high intensity of
          x-rays, enabling NEAR's x-ray spectrometer to detect the
          asteroid emissions at a range of more than 200
          kilometers from the surface. From that one observation,
          we were not able to determine quantitative abundances of
          these elements, which is the information that might tell
          us whether Eros is from a differentiated parent body
          (one large enough to have melted in the interior and
          separated into heavier and lighter constituents) or from
          a more primitive parent body. We'll have to be patient
          and await more observations, especially from the lower
          orbits where the x-ray and gamma ray spectrometers were
          designed to operate. Gene would have had difficulty with
          the notion of being patient at Eros - he wanted to go
          there and bang on it with a hammer - but he would have
          understood.

          Andrew Cheng
          NEAR Project Scientist