[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Electrophonic study

With the possibility of the earth being showered with incoming Iridiums
sometime in the future, and given that this is an unprecedented opportunity
to study several similar "meteor-like" fireballs, and that someone has
proposed an electrophonic study of same, I have a question.

Can one use the simple VLF receivers (I believe they were down around 150Hz)
originally designed for "Project Inspire"?

I have one of these units. They were used originally (and may yet be today)
by HS students to listen to natural VLF emissions, in particular, the Dawn
Chorus, a cacophony of "sounds" created by lightning strikes halfway around
the globe. The project was an extensive one, and many of these radios may
still be around. Perhaps if Project Inspire is still operating, we could
enlist their aid in checking for electrophonic phenomena, that is, if the
radios will work for the proposed study.

Anybody?

terry

Follow-Ups: References: