[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: Possible March radiant

Hello to all,
     At Kim Youman's suggestion, I am throwing this
out there for all the world's meteor folks to take a
gander at/for.  I realize this radiant is obscure,
little-known and probably barely, if at all, active;
but as amateur scientists, we must ALWAYS keep both an
open mind AND an open eye.  I have little in the way
of additional info, except that the stated radiant
position is probably good for about a week or so
either side of 21/22 March.  Nothing on radiant drift,
either, except for the usual one or so degree daily
eastward drift, nothing on north/south drift.  I have
the shower active until early April.  With an apparent
velocity this slow and no other radiant active near
it, any possible activity should be easy to nail down.
 I thought it pertinent to mention this in lieu of the
apparent increase in the March sporadic rate and the
number of reported fireballs of late.  Is any of this
attributable to this radiant??  Can anyone shed any
more light on this radiant?  Regards to all, Paul in
Sicily

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://im.yahoo.com

-- BEGIN included message

Hi Kim,
     I keep forgetting to mention to you a rather
obscure but intriguing March radiant I got off an old
meteor shower listing I used to have.  I was wondering
if you had seen this one listed anywhere.  It is
called the Camelopardalids and the radiant is RA 119
dec +68 and is noteworthy for having one of the
slowest velocities of any "known" radiant: 6.8
kilometers per second!  I used to watch for this one
in past years but never did see any definite
candidates.  The reason I mention it is that recently
another astronomy friend of mine in Florida saw a -15
fireball that he thinks may have come from this
radiant!  I thought you might want to keep this one in
mind as you are analyzing your data/plots.  At 6.8
kms, any potential Cam meteor seen would surely stand
out like a sore thumb!!  Could easily be mistaken for
a reentry event, however.  I believe this radiant is
active into early April and perhaps is more of a
bright meteor/fireball type radiant then a regular
hourly producer.  Anyway, could one or two of these be
hidden somewhere in that high sporadic rate??   Take
care, Paolo