[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Another Camelopardalid.

Hi Mike,
     This IS intriguing about your possible Cam
sightings!  Hopefully, we will see additional
confirmation in the days ahead.  Perhaps we SHOULD
take Mark up on his offer to dig a little deeper into
this!  My weather here on Sicily has been good only
for ducks here lately!  Has anyone on the list ever
looked for this radiant in past years or had any of
their plots line up with the projected radiant?  Could
we be on to something here?
     I tend to be somewhat receptive to these older,
obscure radiant listings in many cases.  My feeling
about this is that the meteor researchers from the
past had several advantages over us poor modern folks.
 They had little in the way of light pollution to
contend with, and it was not nearly as necessary for
them to travel great distances to find dark skies.
They were better able to take advantage of the
observing opportunities they had (perhaps right in
their own backyards!).  And, in many cases, especially
with Mr. Olivier and the AMS, the criterions and
parameters for radiant alignment/shower associations
were tougher and more stringent then the ones of
today.
    Anyway, thanks for the obs, Mike, and good luck to
all on further attempts at confirmation! Paul in
Sicily

--- Mike Linnolt <mlinnolt@alum.mitdot edu> wrote:
> I just got back in from an hour of Teff, before
> moonrise. Decided to
> observe from "lowlands" at my home on Maui, since
> clouds have decreased
> from prior days. Still, clouds can rapidly appear,
> and even drop brief
> showers, such as during my observation of a mag +3
> SPO. Its hard to say
> whether observing low, or above the inversion layer
> at the summits is
> better. But, shirtsleeve observing sure beats the
> brutality of 45F temps
> and 30 knot winds!
>
> As far as meteors, I was pleasantly surprised to
> count 8 in 1hr, with 6
> SPO. I think thats quite good for an early evening
> in March, with less
> than perfect LM's. Just like yesterday, I saw one
> very short path, far
> from radiant, very slow meteor that lined up with
> the presumed
> Camelopardalis radiant!
>
> I also saw a mag +1, which had trajectory very
> nearly from the "Theta
> Leonids" radiant. Unfortunately the path length was
> too long, for proper
> "shower" association, so its logged as a SPO. (Sorry
> to say, Kim...)
>
> Will try again tomorrow night.. Hope to go 3 for 3
> for Cam!
>
> Mike.
>
> REPORT FOLLOWS:

> OBS: Mike Linnolt (LINMI)
> DATE: Mar. 25, 2000
> TIME: 0748 - 0850 UT (9:48pm - 10:50pm HST night of
> Mar 24/25)
> LOC: Haiku, Maui, HI (20° 53' N, 156° 18m W)
> ELEV: 200m
> Conditions: Mostly Clear. Temp 67F. RH 70%. Winds
> moderate.
> METHOD: Paper
>

> Observing Periods Summary:
> ==========================
>
> # Period(UT) FOV       Teff   F    LM      Cam* VIR
> SPO
>   ---------- ---       ----   -    ---     ---  ---
> ---
> 1 0748-0850  09h +00   1.00  1.05  6.0      1    1
>  6
>
> *Cam = Camelopardalids radiant given as 07:56 +68.
>
> Periods Detail:
>
> Period #1:

> = 1

> = 1