[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: What? A Leonid storm in *1886*?!?

Joe Rao writes: "It would seem very improbable (at least to me) that such an
amazing spectacle would have been missed [...]"

*If* we hadn't know about the likelyhood of a Leonid storm in 1999,
who would have seen it? Apart from a few gaps all of Central Europe
(and much of Northern Africa) was clouded out, and the locations where
the storm could be seen at its best are sparsely populated. And who is
around watching the skies at 3 a.m. in a November night anyway? One
really has to wonder how incomplete our knowledge of past Leonid storms is.

Daniel Fischer