[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteorite books...

Lloyd et al,

>Can someone tell me the name and date of publication  of the book that lists
>many of the meteorites that have hit the earth by state.. I believe it has
>been out of print for 20-30 years.

Not exactly what you're after, but the book 'Minerals from Earth and Sky',
Volume 3 in the Smithsonian Scientific Series, edited by Charles Greeley
Abbot, 1929, 1934 has a neat list.  The meteorite part of the book was
written by George P. Merrill.

Appendix II is a 'list of all known meteorites seen to fall, portions of
which have been preserved', and lists meteorites alphabetically, by name of
fall, in various sections - stones, stony irons, irons.  The list is just
under 50 pages long, and covers the globe.

The text part of the book has lots of interesting reading, both on meteors
and meteorites.  There is also a table listing geographic distribution of
meteorites in North America by State, up to 1925, including a brief mention
of Canada, Mexico and Central America.  To 1925, most per state was Texas
with 24, followed by North Carolina with 22, followed by Tennessee and
Kansas at 18.

This book is still fairly widely available at community book sales and in
used book shops.

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada