[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteorite Books-- The Big 4 plus

Hello List,
........ if you fall into the bug of meteorites, and many of us have,
there are some "must have" books.

1. The discussion of meteorites will eventually come up in the
discussion of meteors.  To be be prepared to is not expensive.  Richard
Norton's "Rocks From Space" 2nd Ed is currently in print (Around US $20)
and gives excellent coverage of the history and technical points of meteorites.

2. IF you are the inquiring sort, ever want to look behind the curtains
at museums, want to be able to explain how we know meteorites come from
the moon or how we know how old they are you need this one.  Harry
McSween, "Meteorites and Their Parent Planets" 2nd Ed (Under US$30)
expands on Norton to discuss the mineralogy of meteorites and how
astronomers have determined their origins.  It, like Norton, is easy
reading for the lay person.

3. If you get serious and want to be a serious collector/hunter. The
Natural History Museum (British) is the publisher of the "Catalogue of
Meteorites".  It is at the printer as we speak and will list at an
estimated US$150.  It is a huge increase over the 1985 Edition and now
includes the Antarctic  and the Saharan finds since 1985--Over 20,000
meteorites. The edition comes with a Windows Based CD-ROM with
searchable database.

4. If you really get fanatical-- The father of meteoritical science in
America, Harvey H. Nininger wrote "Find a Falling Star" last printing
1986. It is rare, pricey, but documents Nininger's efforts to promote
the recovery and science of meteorites starting in the depression decades.

I believe that 2 more are currently in print or at least available.
They are "Shooting Stars and Thunderstones" by Robert Dodd and
"Meteorite and Tektite Collectors Hand Book" by Phil Bagnall.

And Finally, online is the Meteoritical Bulletin which was mentioned before.

If you have questions about a specific meteorite feel free to ask me off list.

Regards,
Elton

> From: Hormesis2@aol.com
> Subject: (meteorobs) meteorite book
>
> Hi gang:
> Can someone tell me the name and date of publication  of the book that lists
> many of the meteorites that have hit the earth by state.. I believe it has
> been out of print for 20-30 years.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> \Lloyd Mielke

> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:23:32 -0500 (EST)