[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Puppid-Velids Outburst?

Dave,

I have weather records and it indicates that after a cloudy day with
high clouds, the evening cleared off so both the night of 3/4 and the
following day were clear. There were certainly no thunderstorms created
by cirrus clouds so the possibility of you witnessing sprites seems
remote.

Bob

Dave English wrote:

> On the night of 03/04 Dec. 1999, I saw a great deal of activity far off
> to the south, very low to the horizon no more than 12 degrees high, around
> 0400 AM.  It started as a few area flashes of light, and I thought it may be
> Sprite activity as no clouds were seen or noted and the flashes seemed to be
> "free standing." Something happened as I watched, several of the flashes
> seemed to move in my direction, that is start lower and appear to go up,
> but only those in the center of the activity, and I did see meteor like white
> lines in some of the flashes. The activity was noted over about 25 degrees
> width, started out with a few flashes, then progressed to a higher rate for a
> while.  I may have taken notes, if I run into them before next Dec. I'll post
> them for the exact time.
>
>      I decided to post this on the chance this was an outburst but I've been
> reluctant because of the chance it was a thunder storm. I did check the
> weather and nothing was noted nor did clouds appear to be in the sky or
> were clouds illuminated, but they would have been far away. The next day,
> Bob Lunsford posted something about the Puppid shower, a low rate, hard
> to see shower, that he said would be at maximun on the 7th, and so I
> wondered if that was what I had seen, but an outburst.  As for the
> thunderstorm possibility, maybe Joe Rao could check satellite records for
> upper Mexico and San Diego County for 03/04 Dec, just to be sure.
>
>      If nothing can be resolved by researching weather or radio meteor
> observations, then let me suggest that you turn your lawn chairs toward
> the south next 03/04 Dec late at night if you have good visibility to the
> south and below 40 degrees latitude.
>
>                                                                  Dave English
>                                                                  Oceanside, California

Follow-Ups: References: