[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) telescopic meteor? - Scope selection

Dear Group and Johnie,

To add just a little to what Lew and Mike and Malcolm had to say, I too
believe that binoculars are a wonderful tool and my personal first choice
but of course there is no ideal scope and the purpose of observing
determines the best choice.

An 8 inch wide field (i.e. short focal length) Newtonian will do a lot with
clusters, nebula and galaxies. A 10 inch of the same type will get over a
half magnitude fainter in its light grasp. In addition a Barlow lens will
allow high magnification for the moon and planets.

I personally prefer the astro binoculars because of the light grasp and
wide field of view. A pair of 10x80s reach an entire magnitude deeper than
the 10x50 and are quite affordable. The 11x100 binoculars will reach over
1.5 magnitudes deeper than the 10x50.

I have been pushing for years for our school to get some large binoculars
for dark sky field trips and just yesterday with special money from the
dean we ordered a pair of Orion 20x150 binocs. They are not cheap at  $4k
but are a lot cheaper than the Fuji 25x150 which run $12k. The Orion
binoculars will reach about 13th magnitude with a 3 degree field of view.
The Orion binoculars are essentially two 5 inch refractors (a pretty
respectable aperture) bolted together. They come with a tripod and fork
mount. Anyone interested in them should email me and I'll let you know what
my field test shows.

Clear Skies,

Terry

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29424
pager #937-1048
843 953-8071 phone
843 953-4824 fax
http://www.cofcdot edu/~richardt/

Office Location: Science Center Room 102