[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: All-sky and Intensifier Systems

Felix wrote:
> You are right. GenII intensifiers don't have distorsion, however do have
> a much lower gain.

The surplus Gen II MCPs I've tried have noticeable distortion, making
the real-time data reduction much harder, say if you want to use Hough
transforms.  The nominal gain was about 30000x.  With such a detector
plus a 55mm f/0.95 lens I could detect +7.8 stars in the central third
of the phosphor from the UK.  That was about 1.5 magnitudes fainter than
the NELM.  The images became more diffuse at the periphery losing at
least a magnitude.  Still that's not bad for devices costing $150--$300.

Can't you adjust the gain by changing its voltage?  But does that help
in practice?  Surely it's the signal-to-noise which counts.

Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: