[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Greenish Fireball over Missouri

On Friday, April 14 at 8:49 PM CST, I was sitting on our back porch with
my shotgun watching for coyotes and saw a fireball low in the southern
sky.  This is the first description of a meteor that I have ever tried
to make, so be patient with my attempt.  The fireball was much brighter
than Jupiter but not quite as bright at the moon.  I would estimate the
magnitude to be -8 or -9.  The meteor appeared due south (within about
+/-5 degrees) at an elevation of 25 to 30 degrees.  The meteor moved
straight down to the horizon, falling behind a hill (about 5 degree
elevation) within 1.5 to 2 seconds.  It was not totally dark yet, and
the moon was bright, and so if there was a train, it was not observed.
The meteor had a slight greenish cast to it, and the color and
brightness appeared to remain fairly constant once it had appeared until
it disappeared below the horizon.  My latitude and longitude are
approximately 39 20' 52" N 94 00' 31" W (by terraserver.com, SPIN-2
image)

Patrick Ziemer