[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fw: Daytime meteor in Seattle

    Unfortunately, the all-sky fireball camera at Woodinville, WA. was not
in operation as the station operator was away on a business trip.  I have
not heard back from our other locations, as yet, to see if they recorded
anything.  The Sandia All-Sky Camera Bolide Detection Network consits of
four stations, one at Woodinville, Wa., Royal Oak, near Victoria, Gabriola
Island near Naniamo and my station at Courtenay.  Because it takes
considerable time to monitor the tapes, we rely on reports from the public
to give us an approximate time of a fireball.  We can then, quickly search
our tapes to see if one has been recorded.
    Fireballs over the Pacific North West and the West Coast of British
Columbia should immediately be reported to our network.  Messages can be
sent to myself at: epmajden@home.com  or to universe@uvvm.uvicdot ca
    Fireballs should be reported as soon as possible as the tapes are only
saved for 5 to 7 days.  They are then re-used if no events are reported.  As
a matter of interest, if the earth was a smooth ball, our stations cover a
radius of approximately 1100 kms from each location.  That is to say, a
fireball directly overhead should be detected at or near the horizon of a
station ~1100 km away.  In theory, but not in practice, as there are often
obstructions, like mountains etc between stations.  Local weather conditions
are also a factor.
    We would appreciate your cooperation.

Ed Majden - Sandia All-Sky Camera Bolide Detection Network

http://astrowww.phys.uvicdot ca:80/~balam/emo.html
http://www.amsmeteors.org/spectro.html