[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Possible Meteorite Strike, Marion NY / Eta Aquariids

Hey Joe!
	If this guy's really a meteorologist, shouldn't he be telling, not asking?

    ;-)

	Seriously though.

    Re the 'meteorite', I presume one end of the magnet is attracted and
one end repelled
(to the same part of the 'rock'), or is it something else?
    That would be very interesting.

    Re 'Eta Aquariid lunar impact possibility', now that the HST is back
up to triple redundancy gyrowise, maybe it could also be co-opted (for a
short time at least) to look for impacts.
    It could look for impacts (flashes), and also for dust plume shadows
on light side of terminator, or illuminated plumes of dust on the
darkside, near the terminator.

	Stuart.

Skywayinc@aol.com wrote:

> Hi list! --
>
> The message below was sent by a long-time friend of mine, Keith Eichner, a
> television meteorologist for many years in western New York.  It is self
> explanatory.  Does anybody have any suggestions for Keith?
>
> -- joe rao
>
> Subj:    Psbl Meteorite Strike, Marion NY
> Date:   4/18/00 11:15:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:   KEICHNER@rocketmail.com (Keith Eichner)
> To: Skywayinc@aol.com (Joe Rao Skywayinc)
>
>   Joe....
>      Long time no hear.  Listen, got a call this AM
>   from a fellow who thinks a meteorite struck his
>   home.  Occurred during a rainstorm last Friday nite,
>   at 1930 75th Meridian Time (2030 EDT).  He heard
>   a loud noise that shook the house.  Days later, his
>   wife noticed a hole in the roof over the porch.
>      He investigates, and finds a metallic rock on the
>   grounds.  It repels a magnet.  Weight about 1.5 lbs.
>   And he said it smelled something terrible.  This was
>   after he rinsed off the mud or soil around it with
>   water.
>      He has had no luck getting confirmation from the
>   ROC Science Center and Planetarium here..dot can't get
>   someone to look at it.
>      Anyone you could think of up this way...in BUF
>   or maybe at Cornell that we might contact?
>      Please write back.
>      Keith

Follow-Ups: References: