[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Novice radio observations April 27 - May 2

 This is the first time I've set out a program to observe a shower via
radio. As a result, I consider these numbers virtually useless. But for
the sake of it, here goes...

 I have observed one hour per night from 11:30-12:30 locally (EST, -4 UT).
		echos
   April 27-28:  50
   April 28-29:  55
   April 29-30:  51
April 30-May 1:  62
       May 1-2:  74

 Note, on the last two observations I changed my listening station from
61.75 LSB to 61.25 CW. So I'm unsure about whether the increased activity
is due to the frequency change, the eta aquarids, or (more likely)
increased experience and confidence by the observer. The real test will
be whether the numbers drop after the shower is over.
 My goal is to continue observing the same hour through May 10, while
expanding to 11:30-4am on the 4th, 5th, and 6th. Of course, that relies on
the ability of my coworkers to put up with a tired and grumpy person the
next day. :)
 There are many factors that fudge these numbers. I have learned alot and
will be better prepared for the next shower. I would like to also put
together a VERY basic reduction algorithm to take into effect the fact
that I have about 3 transmitters on that frequency (thus may have multiple
echos) and I live on a busy flight path (thus increasing aircraft
reflections).

Aaron Price, Perlmonger and UNIX Sysadmin
American Association of Variable Star Observers, www.aavso.org
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Roald Dahl