[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Where have all the reports gone?

Hi there,

Boy, it's been a while since I posted on meteorobs. But just want to
let you know that I'm still here, and interested in meteors as
always. But not a single meteor report since last November's Leonids!
I'm all out of luck... December to February were mostly clouded out.
When the few clear nights would present themselves, our canadian
winter was cold enough to make it dangerous to go out to some remote
site in the middle of nowhere (I don't have the kind of backyard I
used to have a few years ago, where setting up for a couple hours was
a breeze). Recently, I've seen many clear skies but because of some
recent long work days, I just didn't have the energy to go out and
observe usefully. Actually I did make it out to a dark sky site this
past weekend, but I made the mistake of waiting till after midnight
before switching to meteors. By then I was "bagged", so I knew I
would contribute poor data. I'd much rather wait to be well rested,
and provide quality observations, rather than loads of bad data.

Anyway, things should settle down a bit and I expect to get back into
it soon. I'm getting real thirsty for those shooting stars!

Pierre

>Hi!
>
>This has bothered me for some time. It appears that the number of active
>observers present on meteorobs has declined during the last two years.
>Or at least the number of reports being sent to the list. Of course,
>there are several active observers posting to the list and making it
>much more interesting - Kim Youmans, Mike Linnolt, Robert Lunsford,
>Javor Kac (I apologize to any observer who I didn't list, but is
>active...). But what has happened to all the experienced observers???
>Lew used to post a lot of observations, telescopic, visual... Norman has
>also become less active. George Gliba? Pierre Martin? Kim Hay? Marco
>Langbroek? And all the other observers who used to post their
>observations to meteorobs? Where are you? Trevor Pendelton also used to
>post his observations for a relatively short time, Trevor, where are
>you?

Follow-Ups: References: