[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Colliding Leonid Meteors & Eta Aquarids

Hello,

>> 3) With all the debris falling during the 1833 Leonid storm perhaps some
>> particles hit each other and ricocheted off in odd directions.  Did anyone
>> see that happen during last years Leonids in Jordan or Spain?
>>
>> Mrs. Roberta Webb

 Although it was a bit hard to notice every detail during the maximum, but
I believe that I didn't see such an event from Jordan during the Leonids '99.

 By the way, a delegation of IMO, consisting of: Sirko Molau, Mirko
Nitschke, and Ulrich Sperberg are now in Jordan visiting JAS, and we will
have a camping in Al-Azraq to observe the Eta Aquarids meteor shower!

Clear Skies!!
Mohammad Shawkat Odeh.
Jordanian Astronomical Society (JAS).
Member of JAS Administrative Board.
P.O. Box 925916 Amman 11110 Jordan.
Fax:  +1-707-2210918 (In USA).
odeh@jas.org.jo
http://Beam.to/odeh      (Personal URL)
http://www.jas.org.jo/   (JAS URL)

At 06:44 PM 02/05/00 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]
>
>Hi Alex,
>
>I started trying to photograph meteors late last year,and I've learnt allot
>since then(and still am learning)
>
>The basic requirements for a suitable camera for meteor photography are:
>
>1.The ability to take long exposures.Usually this means the camera should
>have a "B" setting which allows for the shutter to remain open for as long
>as the shutter release is depressed.To stop vibration ruining your
>exposures you will also need a locking cable release and a tripod (the
>sturdier,the better).
>
>2.The camera body should be able to withstand the cold which usually means
>getting an older and completely manual 35mm camera,since most newer cameras
>consume battery power to hold the shutter open and you run the risk of
>running out of juice in the middle of a long exposure,especially on a cold
>night when batteries die much faster than under warmer conditions.
>
>3.A lens in the wide to normal angle range with as wide a maximum aperture
>as you can afford as a wider aperture (or smaller f-stop) will record
>fainter meteors than a smaller aperture.The standard 50mm/f~1.8 lenses that
>come with most 35mm SLRs are usually excellent for meteor photography and
>can be purchased relatively cheaply in mint condition on the second hand
>market.
>
>4.MLU:Not essential ,but useful is the ability to lock up the mirror on the
>camera to prevent the image damaging vibrations that can occur when the
>mirror snaps out of the way at the start of the exposure.
>
>I ended up buying a secondhand Nikon F2 body from e-bay for $270 (I've
>always had a softspot for Nikon:))dot it has all the features I listed above
>and I'm very happy with the choice I made (its a rock solid camera and has
>a great reputation for reliability under adverse conditions)A camera like
>the Nikon FE2 is also suitable for this type of photography but theres also
>plenty of choice from other manufacturers.
>I also got myself two manual focus lenses ,a 50/1.8 and a 28/2.The 50/1.8
>is capable of capturing fainter meteors(I think?!) but covers less sky than
>the wider angle 28/2.Both work very well for this kind of work as well as
>general photography.
>
>Here are a few links which might also be useful:
>http://www.imodot net/photo/index.html
>http://web.infoavedot net/~meteorobs/guidechap3.html
>http://familyeducation.com/article/0,1120,22-3836,00.html
>

>Hope this helps !
>
>Clear skies,
>                     Leo
>

>To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'meteorobs' email list, use the Web form at:
>http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/subscribe.html
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 01:55:27 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser@yahoo.com>
>Subject: (meteorobs) Leonid "aerolites" of 1833, drawn in 1864
>
>NOTE: Gregory is not a current 'meteorobs' subscriber.

Eventhough we
> [...]
>there are several active observers posting to the list and making it
>much more interesting - Kim Youmans, Mike Linnolt, Robert Lunsford,
>Javor Kac (I apologize to any observer who I didn't list, but is
>active...). But what has happened to all the experienced observers???
>Lew used to post a lot of observations, telescopic, visual... Norman has
>also become less active. George Gliba? Pierre Martin? Kim Hay? Marco
>Langbroek? And all the other observers who used to post their
>observations to meteorobs? Where are you? Trevor Pendelton also used to
>post his observations for a relatively short time, Trevor, where are
>you?
>I hope this post wake up some of the experienced observers, since their
>observations make a big contribution to the list. I'm sure that with
>more reports more of 'lurkers' out there will become interested in
>observing meteors.
>And another thing. To all the beginners - don't be afraid to post your
>observations to the list. Even if you make mistakes, I'm sure you'll
>gather experience really quickly and in no time you will post superb
>reports!
>
>In hopes of more reports... ...clear skies to all of you!!
>
>Jure A.
>
>To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'meteorobs' email list, use the Web form at:
>http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/subscribe.html
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:08:47 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "alex m'clintock" <sparkster778@yahoo.com>
>Subject: (meteorobs) aerolites/reports
>
>I observed the Leonids from Mallorca Spain last year
>(plenty of them), and I also witnessed something
>similar although only a few. about 7 of the LEOs
>radiated from Leo were far to close to the radiant
>which does not follow the distance of meteor to
>radiant rule. Although I was not ay all experienced
>then I recall thinking how close they were to Leo. The
>only possibility I can think of is as you say
>ricochets or SPOs, the only doubt I have with SPOs is
>they seem to be following far to equal direction as
>the LEOs.

>Hopefully I should post some reports this week after
>observing some ETAs, the only problem is I am at
>school so night long observations are far to
>difficult. This weekends observations + reports may be
>more likely as I will go camping to watch the last of
>the ETAs from a darker part of the isalnd.
>
>Reply to camera e-mails:
>Thanks everyone who sent camera suggestions, they
>should be useful and you may see me posting some pics
>to the mailing list or I may create a webpage with
>them on.
>
>Alex M'clintock

>Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 15:21:10 -0400
>From: Lew Gramer <dedalus@latrade.com>
>Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Leonid "aerolites" of 1833, drawn in 1864
>
>NOTE: Gregory is not a current 'meteorobs' subscriber(?). If you follow up,

The