Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 21:49:25 -0500
From: "Robert W. Johnson" <cyborg3k@flashdot net>
To: dedalus@latrade.com
Subject: MARTIAN METEORITES

Hello,

My name is Robert Johnson. I have been checking out your site and
several others, trying to get a little background for an article I may
write about Martian meteorites. During this, a couple of questions came
to mind, and I was wondering if I might enlist your help in clearing
them up.

1] While the evidence of  specific isotopes of atmospheric gases trapped
in the rocks looks pretty compelling , it is the only evidence I have
heard
  so far that's not circumstantial. Would the presence of such gases
rule
  out the possibility of a different origin, perhaps that
of a comet, or the rings of one of the outer planets?

2]  Has anyone ever been able to calculate the rate at which a meteoroid
is consumed upon entering the atmosphere? Knowing the mass of what
remains of ALH 84001, is it possible to estimate its original size?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RWJ

------- End of Forwarded Message