[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation May 3/4 2000

I finally managed to go out last night (May 3/4) to get my first
meteor session since last November. I observed from Casselman under
clear skies for the last 3 hours until dawn. It was a very mild night
as it never got cooler than 5C, yet the sky was quite good with a LM
reaching 6.3-6.4.

Activity was fairly good in the first hour, with sporadics to keep me
busy plotting and a weak presence from the ecliptical activity and Mu
Virginids. I managed to plot almost everything. The second hour was
very slow with just 2 sporadics. It was a long lull of inactivity for
29 minutes, but the Eta Aquarids radiant would rise soon, so I kept
going.

The third hour came alive again. More sporadics, many on the faint
side. Eta Aquarids were a bit disappointing. I was hoping for one or
two earthgrazers as the "water jar" came up over the horizon, but no
luck this time. It took until 7:33 UT (3:33 EDT) to see my first
Aquarid... a faint magn +4. Three more ETA were seen before signing
off as dawn approached, but none got brighter than 2nd magnitude. It
looked like a fairly ordinary night of activity, with no highlights
worth mentioning. Actually, there is something interesting to
mention... after checking my plots, I got 3 meteors to intersect in a
surprisingly sharp point in Virgo (14h07 +01). The candidates were
all medium speed. No potential Alpha Bootids or Omega Capricornids
candidates were seen.

Overall, it was an enjoyable night and I will hope to get out again
over the weekend.

Pierre

DATE: May 3/4 2000
BEGIN: 5:20 UT (1:20 EDT)  END: 8:20 UT (4:20 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation:100m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder

OBSERVED SHOWERS: 3-letter code;    		 	radiant position
                 ECL/SAG (ecliptids)	         	236 -20
		MVI (Mu Virginids)			15h22 -8
		ETA (Eta Aquarids)			337 -2
		OCA (Omega Capricornids)		21h00 -20
		ABO (Alpha Bootids)			15h00 +19

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)   FIELD   Teff   F      LM     SPO ETA ECL MVI ABO OCA
5:20-6:25    SE60    1.00  1.00    6.23    7   0   1   1   0   0
6:25-7:26    "       1.01  "       6.33    2   0   0   0   0   0
7:26-8:20    "	     0.84  "	   6.27    8   4   0   0   0   0
TOTALS:              2.85                 17   4   1   1   0   0  =  23

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER +1  +2  +3  +4  +5	AVERAGE

SPO     1   2   6   6   2	+3.35
ETA     0   1   0   2   1	+3.75