[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NWM2000May4/5 EtaAquarids normal

After a couple of missed nights plus the first afternoon rain in a month,
the sky cleared and all the haze was gone.  I observed 2000 May 4/5 for 2:40
hours (303 - 543 EDT,  703 - 943 UT)  in sky LM 7.3, recording a total of 32
meteors : 19 Eta Aquarids and 13 sporadics.  Nothing was seen from any of
the minor showers.  The 2 usual hours 326 - 526 EDT (726 - 926 UT) produced
8,10 Etas and 4,2 sporadics.  Activity besides the Eta Aquarids was
remarkably quiet.  No dead time was taken as I was writing by feel in the
dark on a paper folded into columns, and I generally would record meteors 3
or 4 at a time.

 A classic long Eta was the first one seen this time : at 329 AM, an orange
0m going 50 degrees in 3 seconds and leaving a 2-second train.  It faded
rapidly after the first second irregularly down to +3m at the end.

Eta Aquarid magnitudes  -2m to +6m : 1,1,3,0,2,4,6,2,0  total 19 average 2.53

sporadic magnitudes  0m to 5m : 2,3,1,2,2,3  total 13  average 2.62

Both categories averaged quite bright due to a good number of brighter ones
seen.  The last 3 Etas seen the second hour were mags 0,-1,-2 ; the first
two were yellow and the last orange, and all were trained.  In the first
hour there were two  +5m  Etas in a row with 1-second trains.  Only one more
Eta was seen after the second hour ended : a yellow  0m.  After I signed off
there was a green-blue-white  -6m Eta low in the east with train 1at 545 AM
(945 UT) ; I didn't see the whole thing.

It appears to be on schedule for a maximum on the morning of May 6.  That
has generally been my best night for Etas after 1981.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society