[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Special eta Aquarid lunar obs. planned May 7 pm from Fla.

Date:  1 May 00 12:58:24 EDT
From: Laurent Pellerin <nightsight@netscapedot net>
To: Brian Cudnik <cudnik@flashdot net>, David Dunham <dunham@erols.com>
Subject: RE: More on eta Aquariids
CC: Jerry Reed <greed1@cfl.rr.com>

LP>My partner, Jerry Reed, and I will be video recording
this event on the evening of May 7th using the 26" SCT at the Robinson
Observatory at the Univ. of Central Florida.  We will be using two methods to
record the time on the tape this time so if one fails like last November,
there will be a backup.  We will run a cable from a time radio receiver
outside (the dome blocked the signal last time) into one audio channel, and we
will also hook up a mike to the other audio channel to verbally record the
time periodically.

>>>The sub-meteor point is roughly 60deg west of the CM meridian, near the
lunar equator, so the best place to watch is from the terminator to just east
of the selenocenter - a lunar diagram is on the ALPO lunar impacts Web site.

>>>Brian Cudnik

LP>Because we will be using the 26", we will have a very narrow field of view,
but increased magnitude limits as well.  Given our sky conditions, we should
pick up impacts down easily down to 7.5 mag., and probably to 8th-9th
magnitude (or more) as well, that will still stand out against background
noise.  While all of the fainter impacts that we might pick up may not be
confirmed by smaller scopes, they will give us an estimate of the number of
fainter impacts-to-brighter impacts ratio.  However, to do this, we need to
make sure someone else is covering the same area as we are, at the same time.

LP>Our Astrovid 2000 camera will provide a 72" x 114" field of view with the
26-inch.  This converts to approximately a 80 mi. x 127 mi. area on the Moon.
Assuming that there will be enough earth-light to identify landmarks, we plan
to aim at the area around Crater Maskelyne, just north of the equator, in Mare
Tranquillitatis 30 deg. east of selenocenter.  If I followed your directions
correctly, this will be just about dead center of the area you are requesting
to be videoed.  If there is not enough earth-light to identify landmarks, we
will still be roughly in that area.

Laurent Pellerin

Operations & Production
Seminole Community College Planetarium