[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) eta Lyrids

John Greaves Wrote (regarding eta Lyrids from IRAS-Araki-Alcock):

> >Several months ago I did a lot of messing about with
> >comet orbits vs IAUC meteor database orbits using D criteria.  One of the
> >few 'new' possibilities to crop up was for comet IRAS-Iraki-Alcock, which
> >had six photographic meteor orbits very closely associated with it.
> >An interesting point here is that most of these photographic meteors were
> >detected in 1953/4.

Hi John and others,

That last thing (most photographic orbits from 1953/54) I think is an
artifact of observing statistics. The years you mention belong to those that
produced most of the published Harvard Patrol orbits in the IAU database
(which form a significant part of the database content), and I reckon your
quoted orbits are mostly from this Harvard patrol indeed. But it does show
that a dedicated campaign with low light level video cameraas could prove
worthwhile for this stream.

Marco

---
Marco Langbroek                    private: marcolan@stad.dsldot nl
Leiden University                     work: m.langbroek@arch.leidenunivdot nl
Faculty of Archaeology
P.O. Box 9515
NL-2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands

private: Jan Steenlaan 46, NL-2251 JH Voorschoten

"What seest thou else
  In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

William Shakespeare: The Tempest act I scene 2
---