To: "IMO-NEWS" <imo-news@egroups.com>,
        "Robert Lunsford" <lunro.imo.usa@home.com>
From: "Marco Langbroek" <marcolan@stad.dsldot nl>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:07:34 +0200
Subject: eta Lyrids from IRAS-Araki-Alcock (Re: [IMO-News] Meteor Activity for
May 12-18, 2000)

Robert Lunsford <lunro.imo.usa@home.com> wrote on Thursday, May 11, 2000
11:46 PM:

> Recent reports have indicated that the remnants of IRAS-Araki-Alcock
> (1983) may be currently active. Normally a few meteors are seen from
> this source between May 5-15. On May 7 rates as high as 6 per hour were
> reported.

Hello Bob and others,

Just a bit of warning to see this quote in the proper context:
I think these 6 eta Lyrids (IAA)/hour originate from my May 6-7 report. For
clarity: this is not a ZHR, but a raw number, and I observed under very good
sky conditions (Lm +6.8). I have two hours with rather high rates (see table
below) but also one (half an) hour  period with no eta Lyrid at all. Overall
eta Lyrid ZHR for that night is about 3.5 +- 1. The previous night under
less good conditions (Lm +6.3) I had 3 eta Lyrids in 2.77h effective.
Typically, I (and Koen Miskotte) observed 2-3 a night in other years, but
those were not observations from our dark Biddinghuizen site. Given that the
observing conditions thus this year were much better in terms of sky
quality, I should say activity of this minor stream was not unusual this
year, but they were well recognizable. According to John Greaves (message in
meteorobs.), 6 orbits possibly associated with this stream exist in the IAU
database with speeds approx. 45 km/s, most from 1953/54.

- - Marco Langbroek (DMS)

May 6-7
observer LANMA
location Biddinghuizen (NL), 52d 28'N, 5d 38'E

22:25-23:30 UT    Teff 0.97h    Lm +6.8     eta Lyrids: 6  Spor.: 13
other: 2
23:30-00:40 UT    Teff 0.82h    Lm +6.8     eta Lyrids: 5  Spor.: 10
other: 1
00:40-01:20 UT    Teff 0.58h    Lm +6.8     eta Lyrids: 0  Spor.: 14
other: 1

Did you know that eGroups offers
calendars, group polls, storage files and more.
Check out these great features at:
http://click.egroups.com/1/3938/10/_/70339/_/958147979/

To unsubscribe from IMO-News, send a blank message to