[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [IMO-News] eta Lyrids

------- Forwarded Message

To: Marco Langbroek <M.Langbroek@rulpre.LeidenUnivdot nl>
Cc: imo-news@egroups.com
From: Sirko Molau <molau@informatik.rwth-aachendot de>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 16:08:57 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [IMO-News] Re: eta Lyrids

Hi Marco,

> As a comparison: the sample size (numbers of (non-eta)  meteors
> observed) by the Dutch observers (at least 3 persons so far at two
> locations) that reported activity of the stream on May 5-6 and 6-7
> are an order of a magnitude LARGER than the sample size Sirko reports
> for his video camera below.

just to add: Thanks to the good limiting magnitude, AVIS recorded as many
meteors in these two night as I counted, and more than the other
observers. Ususally that is not the case, i.e. during major showers the
video cameras observes fewer meteors.

> also saw something). If Sirko used his automatic detection software
> again (did you Sirko) he might have missed the fainter meteors in
> addition.

Yes, of course I did. But that should not be too problematic, as currently
the detection rate is in the order of 80%. That's about as much as manual
inspection of the video tape would yield.

> observers data. Actually, I think that the fact that Sirko's camera
> apparently recorded no meteors from this shower, is a pity, but given
> his sample size has little conclusive value with regard to the
> question whether the stream has been active or not.

Maybe you misunderstood me: I was not going to say that what the visual
observers saw was an illusion. Carl and Rainer asked me to check whether I
find these eta Lyrid meteors in my video data. I did that, but I found not
a single member in these two nights even though the geometry was quite
favourable, i.e. I observed at only little distance from the
supposed radiant.

Our video data have helped to examine the true nature of the 'xi Bootids',
for example, but in this case we seem to have less fortune. That's all I
wanted to let you know with my previous posting

Cheers,
Sirko

- --
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *
*  Ahornstr. 55, D-52056 Aachen, Germany      *       " 2B v 2B "        *
*  phone: +49-241-8021615                     *             Shakespeare  *
*  fax  : +49-241-8888219                     *                          *
*  email: molau@informatik.rwth-aachendot de     *                          *