[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) 2000 HD74

At 14:16 5/16/00 -1000, you wrote:
>There are good points made on both sides.  An announcement could be
>made of a possible shower, but not its expected radiant.

But then, the "purists" among us would want to know more, such as the
expected radiant... =8-O

The anticipation of the Linearids even extended to the amateur radio meteor
scatter enthusiasts. Unfortunately, like the general public, many just
don't seem to understand the how and why of major meteor showers, much less
anything smaller. As a result, many, including some who should know better,
persist in claiming that "this shower is a complete dud" when they
encounter anything less than a full-blown shower. Worse, they ignore advice
concerning the hours anticipated to show favorable shower activity, making
schedules with other stations at any hour possible throughout the predicted
peak activity day. Then again, they exclaime the shower failed to live up
to expectations when they were not even active while the radiant was above
the horizon.

During the Linearids, it was vastly amusing to see proclamations of
successful Linearids contacts... several days before and after the
predicted peak but never DURING the hours when the hoped-for radiant would
be visible!

The absolute worst part of all this is that over the past several years, at
least a half dozen major magazine articles have been published in the
amateur journals explaining, sometimes in excruciating detail, when to take
advantage of anticipated meteor activity. Folks may be reading the
articles; but they just don't seem to be absorbing *what* they are reading.

There are over a dozen amateur radio web pages devoted to radio meteor
scatter; but come to think of it, I don't think that ANY of them bother to
present a pictorial tutorial of meteor physics... HMMMmmm...

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA