[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Visual Vs. Video

I could not let this topic die without a comment. Sirko and Marco did a
great job expressing their views but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents
worth.

At this point it seems to me that video technology can unravel many
mysteries first seen by visual observers. The Xi Bootids are a good
example of this cooperation. A radiant was seen, video observers were
notified and two nearby radiants were obtained. As for the Eta Lyrids,
even though no apparent shower members were seen on tape I would not
write this shower off completely! One year of video data does not
completely answer the questions.

Going back to the Xi Bootids I was quite surprised to see this as a
topic in Sky & Telescope! Does one year of combined methods solve the
mystery completely? I think not! I would estimate that at least a 10
year period of combined data (visual plotting & video) would be needed
before a definite radiant position and drift can be obtained. The entire
article was based on meteors with a geocentric velocity of 50 km/sec. I
used this figure off the top of my head for this particular area at this
time of year. It was a starting point and not meant to be etched in
stone. It could be off 5-10km/sec in either direction which I'm sure
would change the video radiant results. If I had the knowledge I would
have figured out the exact geocentric velocity but a math wiz I am not.
In my mind this mystery is unraveling but still far from solved!

The lack of notification on the Eta Lyrids was my fault. I knew about
them but was saving them for the following week when the usual maximum
occurs. I blew that and I apologize but I need not be the only voice for
such call for actions. I promise that I won't mess up for the Xi
Draconids as this shower is as near to my heart as the Eta Lyrids are to
Marco's.

Now back to the original topic! Video observing is an important tool in
its own right. It can also backup visual plotting and show actual
radiants without bias. So far we have received wonderful cooperation
from the IMO video team and I certainly hope this cooperation can
continue. It is my hope that we can get similar systems set up elsewhere
so that visual plotters can rely on more systems just in case those in
Europe get clouded out during the critical periods.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford