[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) To Promote or Keep Mum

Bob,
    This subject is indeed one of the most compelling
recent topics we've gotten onto!  The most important
point I'd like to make on this subject is that under
NO circumstances should ANY information EVER be
surpressed or kept from anyone for ANY reason!  To do
this would be practicing bad politics, not good
science!  ANYTHING that gets folks out and observing
is paramount!  If there is controversy over what is
seen, that is good!  Are we afraid of it?  The flow of
resulting ideas, points and counterpoints is why we
are doing what we're doing in the first place!  I say
promote everything:  promote showers, promote radiants
(known or suspected), promote every scrap of info we
have about anything we know, think we know,agree or
disagree with!!!  The consequences of NOT doing this,
are far worse then anything that could happen if we
do!!
    I've been observing meteors for 25 years, yet my
experience is just a drop in the bucket of the reality
involved.  I learn something new every time I get out.
 I've watched for all or most of the known or
suspected radiants that have come along during that
time period and I saw some, didn't see others, botched
some up big time, got others right and loved every
minute of doing it!  I've plotted, I haven't plotted,
I've photographed, you name it!  And I'm gonna keep
right on doin it until I drop, Good Lord willing!  And
I hope everyone else that enjoys it will do it to, and
I want to hear EVERY thing you all see and think,
whether I agree with it or not, or saw it myself or
not! If someone is inexperienced, this how they get
it.  If someone IS experienced that's a plus. But, can
any one of us say we really know the deal?  And to
Joseph A.: Yes, I DO miss George Zay and wish he would
return to meteorbs!