[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Comet Tilbrook

Hi John,

> Finally, Bob Lunsford is right.  Multistation video surveys in the US would
> not only be useful re cloud over Europe, but would also beautifully fill
> the timezone gap between the Dutch DMS team and the Japanese MSSWG team.
> Why multistation?  Cos that way you can get orbits [double station will
> usually suffice].  The IMO webpages carry a lot of freeware for the
> processing of this sort of data, although I have absolutely no idea whether
> it can cope with the different vid standards the US has compared to Europe.
>  Papers on the topic may well be accessible via www.dmsweb.org.  But don't
> ask me, it's all at a "I know _of_ it" level as far as I'm concerned :)

to my knowledge there is no continuous multistation video survey in Europe
nor in Japan. The are two types of activities: Double station video
observations of selected showers by Japanese & Dutch enthusiasts, and
all-year single station video observations carried out by us in Germany.
We do intend to start with multi station observations, too, but that
requires analysis software that's not yet developed.

So for any activities in the US (that I would highly appreciate) I'd
suggest to do one step first (i.e. either automatic single station or
selected double station observations - that's already quite tough!) and
only then think about the second...

BTW, the MetRec software we use in our network can cope in theory with
both PAL and NTSC, even though I never had the chance to test NTSC myself.

Cheers,
Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *