[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re Tilbrookid critters...

Well, Bob, maybes there are Tilbrookids after all [I thought alpha UMa-ids
was already used, hence Tilbrookids]...

...and maybe there ain't, I dunno any more!

The attached GIF shows a chart marking meteor radiant positions.  Some are
photographic meteors, most are radar, from the IAUC databases.  These are
half finished [half baked?] results from some orbital similarity stuff I
was doing at the turn of the year that never got any further.  In some
respects I felt I was getting too many results.

Besides which, one swallow doesn't make a spring, and as the radar dataset
consists of 63000 orbits, these meteors with orbits apparently similar to
comets are just as likely to be coincidences.

Yet, the meteor radiants marked IRAS-I looked to be similar to
IRAS-Araki-Alcock, and low and behold, they turned out to have vdot similar
radiants and dates [not shown] to something called the eta Lyrids which
I've recently heard tell of...

The ones marked Tilbro are radar meteors dated a few days either side of
Dec 14, but from different years, and are very similar in their orbits to
C/1999 A1 Tilbrook.

The ones marked Kohler are radar ones [1 photo one] that all occured in
late September, and I reckon they're Kronk's September eta Draconids [comet
is Kohler 1977XIV, oldstyle].

Worse still the radiants marked for meteors with orbits similar to the
comet of 1639 are all for early November, and the back of my memory insists
on saying there is a Cepheid shower peaking on Nov 9th [or is it pi
Cepheids?].

Fortunately the ones connected with C/1737 II [oldstyle] are for mid
August, and I've never heard of anything called the "Summer Polarids"!!!!!!

"Off camera" we get a handful of late May ones for the comet of 1757 near
the 'Head of Cetus'...

and that is more or less where I left it, suspended between 1757 and 1948,
telling myself I needed to learn a lot more [ie I effectively forgot about
it], until the eta Lyrids cropped up in recent meteorobs stuff.

Until the eta Lyrids, the only ones I'd ever noted that I was halfway happy
about were the chi Orionids and NEO 2201 Oljato [till I found the
professionals had beaten me to it years since: lots of fireballs involved
too], and the Sekiids... ...but that's another story, and I've bored you
all a bit too much with this stuff of late!

Suffice to say the same procedure found other stuff already known, like an
Aurigid shower and Kiess' comet of 1911, and Metcalfe's comet of 1919 and
the omicron Draconids of July.

Not a single one of them counts for anything in my opinion, however, unless
fully backed up by visual observations [or modern video and photo
techniques, of course].

A fellah can play with numbers as much as he wants, it's not the same as
actually seeing 'em!

I'll leave you all in peace for a while now...

[NB to Lew Gramer: sorry if you can't get at the GIF: it's the best I can
do sizewise]

Cheers

John

John Greaves