[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Beautiful red meteor

Hi guys!
            Sorry for being so stagnant for so long..dot been busy with
studies...well, just want to point out that while fishing on 20th May
2000 at Punggol Park in Singapore (UT + 8 hours), at around 2030 to 2100
or so..dot can't remember the exact timing...but I know I saw 2 satellites
passing Corvus at about that time or so with magnitude -0.5 and 1.0
respectively one after another...(anyone knows how to identify them?
Thanks!) And then about another 10 or 20 minutes later, another -0.8
satellite passed the region...this one had a long path...anyway, about
another 10 min or so, came this beauty...
            It was a brilliant red meteor that lasted 1
second...magnitude about -1.4 or so..dot it's direction was towards Virgo
or Serpens and originated from either Corvus or Hydra...(sorry for the
vague details)..dot it had a nice medium length trail of about maybe 8
degrees...and ended its trail in a sparkling split like two fighter
planes bursting away from each other..dot it was definitely one of the best
naturally designed meteor comparable to the double trained Leonids.
            Well I checked the meteor shower listings as I believed
sporadics are hardly this nice, and came up with nothing...anyone have
any idea or comments? =) Actually, I feel quite excited about this
because Singapore's sky is really cloud covered most of the time and
watching meteors flash by is a treasured moment...anyway, to clear
skies!

Warmly,
Kelvin