[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations May 26/27: meteors - they're back!!

Hi!

  It took me a while to make this report as I was at an
astro meeting yesterday. I observed again in the night May 26/27
and like the previous nights, it was clear. The weather went
through that evening cirrus routine and at 22:30 it was clear.
  The rates - now that's a different story. The first hour was really
active - 17 meteors!! Several nice meteors during the first hour -
had a +1.0 orange sporadic going down in Gemini, a +0.5 yellow
sporadic shooting up from Libra into Corona Borealis, a superb
very slow +2.0 sporadic with a red wake, very Capricornid-like.
Superb, just superb.
  The following hours saw unexpected activity from Sagittarids!
They're very low on in the sky here, reaching only about 20
degrees elevation. One good SAG appeared at 01:22, a +1.0
white meteor in Ursa Major. Also the sporadic rates were still rather good,

although not as high as during the first hour. The last hour was a
bit of a disappointment as only 5 meteors appeared. But overall it
was great!!
The summary:

Period		F	Lm	teff	SPO	SAG	TOT
20:58-21:58UT	1.00	6.35	0.94	17	0	17
21:58-22:58UT	1.00	6.29	0.96	10	2	12
23:09-00:09UT	1.00	6.43	0.96	11	3	14
00:09-01:12UT	1.00	6.44	1.02	4	1	5
				3.88	42	6	48

Magnitude distribution:
SPO:	0(0.5) +1(3) +2(7) +3(11) +4(12) +5(6) +6(2.5)

SAG:	+1(1) +3(1.5) +4(3.5)

The average for sporadics was +3.42, around the usual value, while
for Sagittarids it was +3.25. The weather has finally turned bad here.
It partially cloudy at the moment, but we expect rain from Monday
to Wednesday...
....overall, May has been a very productive month.

Clear skies!

Jure A.