[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations May31/June1: more good rates

Hi!

  There was an unexpected clearing after a front had passed
and the sky was really impressive. Lm's went down to +6.6!
I managed to observe for 1.5 hours, after that clouds rolled in
and that was the end. The rates were really great. I don't think
I should call this heavy activity, it was caused by the great visibility
right down to the horizon, and so I saw many meteors there,
particularly Sagittarids.
  The first hour was heavy on the faint ones. 20 meteors in all,
18 sporadics and 2 Sagittarids. The best was a -1.0 fast yellow
sporadic that appeared at 23:18 local, shooting through Bootes.
At 23:28 I observed a triangular formation of satellites pass through
Cygnus, when two sporadics appeared simultaneously within 5 degrees
of each other, one being +3.5 and one +5.0 mag. I also saw a very short
about 1/2 degree long +2.0 yellow sporadic at 23:56 in Draco. The last
notable meteor was a +3.5 sporadic in Cygnus, that left a 2 second train.
The half hour period didn't produce any really notable meteors.
  I should perhaps note that I observed three slow-medium speed
meteors coming from a radiant at 16:30 and +48 degrees. It's probably
nothing, but if the weather permits, I'll keep an eye at that part of the
sky.
The summary:

Period		F	Lm	teff	SAG	SPO	TOT
20:53-21:53UT	1.03	6.56	0.91	2	18	20
21:53-22:26UT	1.02	6.58	0.52	2	6	8
				1.43	4	24	28

Magnitude distribution:
SPO:	-1(1) +2(2.5) +3(6.5) +4(4) +5(8) +6(2)

SAG:	+2(1) +3(1) +4(1) +5(1)

I hope it stays clear as I would also like to keep an eye on
possible Arietid grazers in the morning. Not much of a chance,
but still...

Clear skies!!

Jure A.