[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) P/2000 G1 & Vgeo

BTW, *thanks* to all for the recent spate of observer reports on the list:
they inspire sluggards and layabouts like me to keep trying to make it out!

>HOWEVER, Vgeo is a *vector* thingy, and as far as I know the lower limit to
>speed is more to do with terminal velocity than Earth's gravity, ie what
>the minimum speed is that still allows enough friction for burn up to occur
>in the upper atmosphere.  Anybody know better?

That's interesting, John - first time I've heard this explanation! I do wonder
if it fits, though: don't reentering space craft (e.g., the Shuttle) generally
have initial Vg well below 11 km/s, but still produce very considerable burns?

BTW, the shower you mention called the Camelopardalids, John, isn't in any of
the online versions of the IMO Working List. I do see mention of it in the
online version of the IMO Visual Meteor Database ("vmdbrad.txt"), along with
another non-working list shower at 10.0 km/s, the "Corvids". I'm not sure of
what outside references there are for the "Camelopardalids". The Corvids do
appear on Gary Kronk's web page, but they do not sound extraordinarily slow,
and in any case, his only references for them are *visual* observations in
the 1930s - not sufficient data for accurate Vg determination, I guess?

I'm not sure if either shower appears in the DMS lists, but a search of the
www.dmsweb.org site turned nothing up. Maybe Wayne Hally or one of our DMS
representatives on the list could comment?

Clear skies!
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: