[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) P/2000 G1 & Vgeo

Outstanding post, Jim - thanks for the clarification!

So as it turns out, both John and I were right (and so we were both wrong ;>).
From the observer's perspective on the ground, what you call Va is important:
and as conventional wisdom states, this has a hard minimum at around 11 km/s.

On the other hand, looking at the orbit of a particle relative to Earth, the
key value (and the one John has been calculating) is what you call Vg, and
this of course can theoretically vary all the way down to 0 km/s.

One mystery still remains, though: I would assume that the Velocities stated
in the IMO Radiant database are actually what Jim calls Va. So how is it that
two of the showers in that database (Corvids and Camelopardalids) have values
for 'Vel' that are below 11 km/s?? Is it simply error, or is the IMO database
actually quoting Vg rather than Va - or is something else going on?

Curious in Boston,
Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: